Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I am so happy.

I can't BELIEVE that I forgot to mention this yesterday. It made me SO happy. I am such a dork by the way (just a fore warning there).

Have any of you heard of boba drinks or pearl? WELL...let me tell you...they are drinks, traditionally milk tea or milk coffee (iced sweet tea or coffee with milk in it), with giant black tapioca balls in it. Now they have expanded into a plethora of flavors, smoothies, iced coffee drinks, juices, etc. that they put these giant tapioca balls in. It is an Asian drink that until yesterday I thought I would never see the likes of in hick-town USA (i.e. Reno, NV). I was first introduced to them in Southern California where they have a few stores that carry them. When I traveled to Australia a few years ago, there was a chain of cafes that sold only this type of drink, in every possible flavor and combination you could imagine (avocado, chili, lychee, you get the idea) with different flavors and with jelly (i.e. jello) that you could layer with the boba. In Sydney this chain was almost as popular as Starbucks are here! They were everywhere which meant that while I was in Sydney, I drank no less than 2 a day. I told you, I love them!

But guess what...yesterday I was on a side of town that I rarely go to but happened to be around that area for work. I pulled into a shopping center because I was going to run into the local grocery store and saw a sign that said "Honey Bakery" and I pulled up for a closer look...honey and bakery in the same sign pull me in like college kids to a sign that says '0.99 cent beers'. As I got closer the sign said stuff about an Asian bakery with cakes and sweets and...and...and..."tapioca drinks"... and I kind of, maybe, jumped for joy just a little bit inside my car! I was so excited.

I fully admit that these are possibly the weirdest things I have ever drank, but I love them. You drink it out of this 1/2 wide straw so you can suck up the tapioca balls as you drink it. They are so weird but I am so excited that there is a place in my town (even if it is like 20 minutes from my house) that sells these.

I warned you, I am totally a dork. Sometimes, the simplest things make me happy!

2 comments:

misguidedmommy said...

this really makes me want to barf bad. i hate tapioca. reminds me of that scary desert you eat at cafe de thai

Anonymous said...

This sounds like the worst thing ever. Like an invention Shannon and I would have made as kids and tried to make my brothers drink! Super gross.

Any way speaking of tapioca, I was out in Spanish Springs where all those new shops are and I saw a sign for a store that sold tapioca. I don't remember what it was called but it sounded like an icecream store but only it was all tapioca. I think fish eye balls in my pudding are a big no thank you, but if you are into that sort of thing maybe you should check it out!