Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

When did I become that kind of person?

Yesterday I went to the mall during my lunch break. Partially to get greasy mall Chinese food that I was craving, and partially to look for a nice dress that magically would make me look like I weigh 120 lbs (not...well...not a lot more than that, which is what I weight). As a side note, they don't exist..those magical dresses that make you look like you weight 120 lbs when you obviously don't. Especially after eating greasy mall Chinese food.

When I was done looking for a magical dress that doesn't exist and done eating my greasy mall Chinese food, I was headed back to the other side of the mall so I could rush back to work. Suddenly I found this girl in front of me. She seemed nice enough, she was just leaving one of those annoying kiosks in the middle of the walkways...it looked like she had just dropped off some food for her friend who was working. The only thing about this girl was she was dressed like a freak. She had some hippie black top on but instead of wearing it like a hippie chick would, sans her skanky black bra, she was wearingit like someone 'rebelling against the world' would wear it. She also had these nasty Converse sneakers on and this horrible jean skirt that was so long the bottom was all black from rubbing on the ground. Now the worst part...the skirt had all this skater, punk shit glued all over it...like a pair of skeleton hands 'grabbing' her butt and weird symbols that I am sure mean something to her. All over the long nasty dirty jean skirt.

Now that I think about it, she really just looked like half of my friends did in middle school. But that's besides the point. So she was leaving the kiosk and her friend, and I was walking back to my car right behind her, and we walk around this corner. I'll admit I was completely thinking "I can't believe she is wearing that, I would never dress like that (any more). And really, the skeleton hands on her ass..." So, we turn the corner and this blond, preppy looking business type women is right there walking towards us...she obviously saw this girl before she saw me, but she got this look on her face like "I can't BELIEVE what SHE is wearing. I WOULD NEVER WEAR THAT. WHO LETS THEIR DAUGHTER GO IN PUBLIC LIKE THAT!" And then our eyes meet, and I realize that I probably had the exact same look on my face because our eyes met and we had this moment of solidarity about the skanky way this girl was dressed.

Now, I actually found the whole moment very funny, however, when did I become the kind of person who judges someone else based on what they wear? I mean the girl seemed nice enough, I knew nothing about her, and yet I was totally perplexed and disgusted by what she was wearing. I guess I finally understand what my mom must have felt like when I was in middle school and tried to did wear tyed dyed tube tops with size 20 jeans with the ghetto Mexican belts with a letter on the chrome belt buckle. Did I mention how cool we all were back then?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This happens all time to me. I don't have to tell you all the weird stuff I see on the trains every day. I have that "I can't believe he/she is wearing/acting/singing like that on the public streets." It's human nature to have a reaction.

misguidedmommy said...

hey jerk post chocolate photos

Jen said...

LOL!! Bwuahahahahahaa! Omg I look back at pictures of myself in middle school and I'm like "was it Halloween?!"

Nope. Just your average WEIRDO day.

Stephanie said...

This same thing happens to me and I am left feeling like you!