Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Lost in Translation

First, yes, I totally just ripped off Jen's blog title but I think it fits this story so well that I just had too...

I just read this post by Jen and her comment about the remote control for life should have a Spanish option button reminded me of the following night (not entirely sure why THIS memory popped up, but either way I thought I would share).

Writer's note to the Reader
This story may appear not as funny as I remember it to be because of the following reasons: you were not there, you are not (and have not) been heavily drinking for the past few hours (well, maybe you have), it is not 3 am.

While I was in college I had a friend. She had a boyfriend who had friends (shocker there huh?). One of her boyfriends friends lived in Sacramento and we would go and visit him once or twice a month on the weekends. These weekends were largely spent drinking and ditching the boys so we had an excuse to go shopping. And then more drinking of course. We normally played a marathon game of Monopoly at some point in time as well.

This particular night, we had been drinking heavily all night. Earlier in the night we had played a rousing game of Monopoly but things were starting to wind down. We decided to put in a movie since our livers probably would have shut down if we consumed any more alcohol. The movie we choose was Dogma. I should probably explain, at this time, everyone in the room had probably seen Dogma close to 20 times so we pretty much knew the movie by heart...

Now, my memory is a little fuzzy about the exact details of what caused the next serious of events to unfold, but about 30 minutes into the movie my friend and her boyfriend started wrestling on the ground. Like I said, I don't remember why it started, probably some stupid challenge about how so and so could pin so and so to the ground and before you knew it people were wrestling on the living room floor. Short lived as it was, the little wrestling match caused some destruction in the living room...the playstation being used as a DVD player had been tossed across the room and our movie viewing has been interrupted. Once things calmed down, we plugged the DVD player back in and started the movie back up. We kept watching...for probably about 45 minutes....when all the sudden my friend started laughing hysterically. We all immediately assumed she had finally cracked and couldn't contain her craziness anymore...I mean why else would she start laughing completely out of the blue.

I finally tried to ask her "what the hell is so funny?" But she just kept laughing and pointing at the t.v. Ummm? What? Ahhhh, ok crazy women? Until it hit me...French...they were speaking French...For the past 45 minutes we had been watching Dogma in French. And none of us had noticed. For 45 minutes.

Of course I started laughing hysterically and the boys had thought that we had completely lost it until one of us could stop laughing for long enough to explain. They didn't find it as funny as we did. Stupid boys.

2 comments:

misguidedmommy said...

i so totally knew where this is going..i still find this funny...we found ourselves watching spanish hbo the other day and it was on for almost 30 minutes before we knew

Jen said...

LOL!! That's hilarious!

Yeah sometimes I start watching the Spanish channel (for no apparent reason) and then all of a sudden I will realize that I have been watching it for like an HOUR and totally knew what was going on... STRANGE!