Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Friday, October 12, 2007

Product Review: Trader Joe's Frozen Chocolate Croissants

I should probably explain that chocolate croissants are definitely one of my top 5 food items...the chocolate goodness wrapped inside a buttery, flaky croissant...what more could you ask for?


When I saw this staring back at me from the frozen food section of my local Trader Joe's, I almost had a food-induced orgasm right there standing between the frozen fruit and the frozen waffles. I. HAD. TO. TRY. THEM. No questions asked.
They are simple enough. The pack comes with 4 frozen croissants. You just take them out and let them proof (rise) at room temperature for at least 9 hours. I took them out at about 10pm before I went to bed. They looked like this when I took them out:

This is what they looked like in the morning when I woke up...mmmmmm, croissanty goodness just waiting for me when I woke up.


They you just bake them for 20-25 minutes...obviously I overcooked them a bit, I tried to cook them while I was in the shower...opps.



Anywho, I was a little disappointed. Admittedly part of it was my fault because I overcooked them so I will definitely give them another try but they were very greasy, but didn't really taste that buttery, like a good croissant should. They also definitely lacked a little on the chocolate as well...I took maybe 4 bites before I hit chocolate...however, once I hit the chocolate...mmmm, mmm goodness.

They also go stale very quickly. I left them out overnight by accident and they were totally stale the next morning.

Overall Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never had a chocolate croisssant.

They are just now opening a Trader Joe's by us. Are they as good as Wal-mart?