Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Monday, August 6, 2007

Recipe Time

Since I just finished eating my left over breakfast from yesterday for lunch, I figured I would share the recipe. Warning: my recipes rarely include specifics like 1/2 cup milk, 3/4 tbsp salt...you are more likely to find phrases like "season to your liking" or "add enough flour to get the right consistency" so if you are one of those people who NEEDS specifics, I would look elsewhere for your cooking advise.


Potato Latkes / Potato Pancakes

Similar to hash browns, these can be served as a breakfast item or as a side dish for lunches or dinners.
Makes 15-20 latkes.
3-4 russet potatoes
1 egg
matzo meal or flour
salt
white pepper
EVOO (for frying)
Peel and shred potatoes (the smaller the pieces the better) and place in a medium size bowl. Let sit for a few minutes and drain the starchy water from the bowl. Add the egg and sprinkle with matzo meal or flour, adding just enough (1-2 tbsp.) to help bind the potatoes together. Season with salt and white pepper and mix thoroughly. Cooks note: since this has raw eggs, I normal season until I think it's right, make one and taste it, adjusting the seasoning as needed. In a non-stick frying pan, coat with EVOO over medium heat. Take a spoonful of the mixture and place in the hot pan. Flatten to form a pancake and let cook until golden brown. Turn and repeat for the other side.
I normally serve these with a spicy dill cream made by combining sour cream, a smidgen of salt, dried (or fresh) dill and some Cayenne pepper (to taste of course). These can also be served with applesauce for a sweeter version.


I like them because they are a little more substantial than hash browns and because, seriously, who doesn't like fried potatoes with sour cream?

2 comments:

misguidedmommy said...

i make something like this minus the nasty ass egg!

Jen said...

Oh my gosh Ginger YUM! I have been on a total potato kick this week! I HAD to have fries last night and before that it was tater tots but this sounds soo much better...

I think I'll pick up some potatoes when I go to the store to get my chocolate.