Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

On a lighter note...episode 2

Reading Misguided Mommy's post about the 7 hour day reminded me of an episode involving one of my other friends and the cops.

We were in 7th grade (maybe 8th...no, I think it was 7th). Like many middle schooler's, my friend and her parents didn't get along too well. One afternoon she decided she wanted to run away and lucky me, I was the one that was going to help her do it. All day at school we schemed and schemed. First, it was Friday and my mom was picking me up after school because she was doing a craft fair in downtown Reno (she has a small store and is a vendor at some craft fairs) and I wanted to hang out there. So perfect, I would just say that my friends parents said it was ok for her to come with us and then sleep over at my house. The next day, after thoroughly scaring her parents into behaving like they should (i.e. letting my friend do whatever she wanted), we would drop her off at home. My parents would be none the wiser, thinking I was just having a friend sleep over, and her parents would be so happy she was home that they would let her do whatever she wanted...because she was totally old enough to make her own decisions.

Yeah, our plan didn't work so well. Somehow her parents found out that she was with me and found out that we were downtown. So as her and I hung out on the corner in downtown Reno, being cool, we see police walking around with a picture and immediately know they are looking for her. We hurry inside, switch clothes (her outfit was so ugly, I don't know how she convinced me to switch outfits!). Thinking we are safe, we head back outside. Somehow we avoided the cops the rest of the evening. That is until we got to my house that evening.

We were hanging out in my room, doing what teenage girls do, and we hear a knock on the door. I peak outside and see a cop car sitting there. She heads for the bathroom thinking she can slip out the window. Only the window in my bathroom is like the size of a loaf of bread (i.e. not big enough for my head to fit out of, especially not my ass...even my teenage ass). So there we are, me talking to the cops, my friend locked in the bathroom and my parents trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Finally the cops get my friend out of the bathroom, THEY HANDCUFF HER, and take her away. I think my parents were disappointed with me for helping, but they had their own opinions about my friends parents and I they understood she was just rebelling against the authority of her parents and let it go.

My friends' parents didn't take it so well. The cops took her the juvenile detention center and made her stay the night there to teach her a lesson. I think it worked because she turned out pretty good!

However to this day my older sister still only remembers this friend as "the one that got arrested from our house." I can be talking about my friend and all the sudden my sister is like, "Wait, is that the one that got arrested from the house?"

1 comment:

misguidedmommy said...

oddly enough i also have a story about helping this girl run away but her parents totally caught us at the mall..i think they had her bugged or tracked somehow, they found her too easy each time