Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Another Trip Down Memory Lane

Now that I look back at my teenage years, I think that I had a bit of an obsession with lighting things on fire. I honestly am surprised I didn't burn the house down. A few of my favorite fire related memories...

Appetizer
One night in high school, Misguided Mommy and I were staying the night at our other friends house. We were in her room doing what teenage girls do and somehow or another (funny how we never remember WHY we started doing things like this, just that we did them) we starting lighting pretzels on fire and throwing them out her second story bedroom window (of which we had already thrown the screen down to the ground). We kept doing this until her dad somehow came around the side of the house and saw us tossing burning pretzel sticks out the window. Needless to say he wasn't very impressed.

Salad Course
In middle school I discovered (while burning a picture of some bitch I didn't like I'm sure), I discovered that if you light a photo on fire on the back (the paper park), the photo part will bubble up and form a mini fire bubble until the fire burns through and pops. It really is pretty cool! Which is why one of my favorite teenage activities was to sit in my room and light photos on fire, trying to form little fire bubbles...again, it's a wonder I didn't burn my house down!

The Main Course
In middle school a friend who we will refer to as Teenage Mom? (because she always claimed she had had a kid before I knew her, but I knew from the time we were in 7th grade so I honestly had a hard time believing her). One night we were hanging out at her house. Everyone like to stay the night at her house because her dad worked nights and his girlfriend was normally never home or too plastered to care what the fuck we were doing. Plus she lived in walking distance from my house. So back to that night. We got bored and got the genius idea to spray things with hairspray and then light them on fire. They would burn for a few seconds and then go out. The main thing we were lighting on fire were these roses that had been out on the table. We'd spray them down with some AquaNet and light the match and they would go up in flames for a few seconds and provide us with some entertainment. We repeated this over and over until we ran out of hairspray. We figured the fun was over and went inside to paint our nails....until we realized that nail polish remover is also very much flammable. First we started lighting small drops of it on fire on the dining room table (with the roses we were at least smart enough to do outside). Soon enough we were wiping the table down with nail polish remover and lighting it on fire. It literally would light for a few seconds, burn up or evaporated and go out. It was never hot enough to start the table on fire but (after repeating this several (dozen) times) we ran out of nail polish remover. We got bored of lighting things on fire and watched a movie. Like I said, her dad worked nights so he came in some time during the middle of the night and went straight to bed. When we woke up we went to sit at the dining room table to eat breakfast (her dad sound asleep in his room) and we realized that the nice clear glaze on the table had partially melted and was now all white and cloudy. The entire table looked like this. Like a good friend, I took off before her dad woke up. I heard he wasn't too happy when he woke up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I had not thought of those memories in almost a decade...are we really that old???
Katie

misguidedmommy said...

we were badddddddd little girls