Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Memorable moments.

No-one ever tells you how easy it is to get stuck in a rut when you become an adult. Once you start getting tied down with jobs and bills and houses and responsibilities, it takes an incredible amount of energy to make yourself do something fun.

The me of 3 years ago went out of town 2-3 weekends a month, spent almost every weekend in the summer at the lake, went hiking, snowshoeing, to yoga classes, out to breakfast, to the movies or the museum.

The me of now would rather spend most weekends laying on the couch watching movies.

The shift was gradual. It started with me graduating from college; with me starting my 'real' job, that left me too tired and with no time to do those things that I used to love to do...that I still love to do. Last night I found myself thinking that it would be too much work to put my flip flops on, drive 30 minutes and sit on some grass listening to music. Seriously, how hard does that sound? But for a moment, my mind just said "nope, not gonna do it." That's the danger of a rut, you have to overpower your own thoughts, you have to say, 'nope, I am going to get my ass off the couch and go have a good time! Damn it!" I did get off my ass and it was a blast. Good friends, good music, good food and good beer. It is a good night.

Having nights like that inspire me to keep on making the effort to do things out of the norm, to take the road less traveled. The memorable moments in life are hard to find, but their worth it when you do.

No comments: