Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Should the cake or the mate come first?

My aunt is getting married for the first time this summer. My aunt and I have had our falling outs in the past (she is a very politically and socially conservative Christian) and I am a relatively liberal non-religious person whose spiritual beliefs lean more towards metaphysical studies than any sort of organized religion or "god" centered beliefs. However I also belive that to a point your family is very important and that even if your political, social and pretty much every other options don't match there are still events that you should attend for your family. Weddings are one of those.

My aunt also asked my to bake her wedding cake. We have a family recipe for a cake called a Chocolate Ice Box cake that has been passed down a few generations and I am the only one who really knows how to make it. Everyone else has the recipe but it is somewhat difficult to make and I am the only one who (a) has the desire to busy herself baking during the majority of the wedding events and (b) knows how to make the cake and actually make it taste and look good. I was bored today and instead of enjoying the warm weather I am sitting inside looking at wedding cake building tips. This was at the end of one recipe that I came across on the Food Network website for a wedding cake...

To Assemble: Without removing the cardboard rounds from underneath the cakes, place the 14 inch cake onto serving platter. Cut dowel rods into 5 sections the height of the 14 inch cake, and 5 sections the height of the 10 inch cake. Carefully insert 4 dowel rods around the middle perimeter of the 14-inch cake and 1 in the middle. Stack the 10-inch cake atop the 14-inch cake. Repeat dowel insertion process for the10-inch cake. Stack the 6-inch cake atop the 10-inch cake. Cover up cardboard by piping icing around perimeter base of each cake. Dust mini green grapes liberally with powdered sugar and adorn cakes with them. Further adorn cake with white ribbon. Find mate, wed, serve.

Does it strike you as odd that (a) the wedding cake recipe dictates that you "find a mate, wed, and serve"...since when did the Food Network start giving life advice and what if i have the desire to just bake the cake and eat it, does that mean the recipe isn't going to come out tasting right and (b) that it came at the end of the recipe? In my opinion finding a mate should probably come before baking the cake. It's understandable to have your wedding cake picked out before you meet the man of your dreams but I would imagine that the butter cream frosting isn't going to hold up for the duration of the relationship.

2 comments:

misguidedmommy said...

Okay so read it and read it and read it. I've decided that this is so old they assumed the bride herself would be making the cake, so i think they meant make the cake then go to the church to meet up with your future husband, get married and then you are supposed to serve the cake.....this must have been back in the day when women had nothing better to do with their time besides do everything!

Jen said...

Ok, so I just had to pick out my wedding cake, and it does not have any of those dowel things holding up the layers, instead they just sit on top of one another...

Anyways- my question is: How the HELL do people transport wedding cakes with all those layers balancing on top of one another? It seems dangerous!