Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Penguins and Itchy Boobs...

Tonight I attended a performance of the Whirling Dervishes. It was one of those spur of the moment ideas to attend. I had no idea what they were when I walked into the Pioneer Center but to inform my readers (the whole 3 1/2 of them) the Whirling Dervishes are an expression and interpretation of Islam. It focuses on love, tolerance, worship of God, community development, and personal development through self-discipline and responsibility. It really was an incredible performance; beautiful and truly odd at the same time. I still am not sure what to think about it. I didn't attend for the religious aspects of it, I attended because it is an interesting cultural tradition from Turkey, an area I truly know very little about. On top of the fact that I had nothing better to do tonight.

During the last half of the show the guys literally whirl around the stage. To assist their whirling, they place white powder on the floor in piles where the dervishes end up. However they move around in certain patterns, thus spreading the white powder in the pattern that they move. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the performance but after sitting in the unimaginably comfortable chairs (can you sense my sarcasm in my writing?) of the Pioneer Center for nearly 2 hours my mind started wondering. By the end of the show all I could think about what how the pattern the white powder had formed on the floor looked like a short, squat penguin wearing a scarf and how my boobed itched. My boob itched so much I couldn't handle it, my only distraction was the large penguin skiing across the stage.

No comments: