Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Year's Photos...(well kind of)

As you all know I went to San Francisco for New Year's this year with my sister and her boyfriend. We have a second cousin (or something like that) who lives on Haight and Masonic (which is like a block down the street from the famous corner of Haight & Ashbury). She runs a head shop and lives above it. Her place is awesome (of course I forgot to take any pictures, sorry).

Anywho, we got to SF at about 6pm on Dec. 31. We saw this gorgeous sunset on the way through Berkeley. You can't really see it because I have a piece of crap digi-camera but the Golden Gate bridge crosses over the water there...





Once we got to our cousin's, we changed and went out to eat. Of course by the time we got out I realized I forgot my camera and my phone and didn't want to go back so I have no pictures of New Year's Eve (I suck, I know). After eating we took the bus to Union Square but found out that it was super touristy (i.e. expensive) and/or the bars sucked so we took a cab to the Broadway and Columbus area that has a bunch of clubs (most strip clubs but a few blocks down they have regular clubs). By this time it was about 11pm and I was not nearly drunk enough to be having fun trekking around the city arguing about where we should go and not having very much fun. We finally gave up (the cheapest place we could find was $40.00 to get in the door and at 11pm none of us really wanted to pay that much just to get in the door). We finally decided to catch a cab to the Wharf and watch the fireworks so we turned down a random street (Montgomery) and ended up stumbling upon the Cigar Bar & Grill. It was $20.00 to get in and the bar was great (i.e. their cosmo's actually tasted like Cosmo's, not sugared up syrupy drinks with a splash of vodka on top). They had a great local band called Manicato playing. We stayed here for the rest of the night, dancing drinking and chatting it up with some great people. I am so glad we came across this place, the evening turned out so much fun! We fought tooth and nail caught a cab and finally made it home around 4am.

The next day we got up and finally got going to eat breakfast around 2pm. We ate at my favorite breakfast place in SF. I don't' even remember the name but it is a crepe place on like 7th and Irving. After we ate we tried to go the Conservancy at Golden Gate park but they were closed...however I do have a few pics for you while we sat and decided what to do next...

My sis and me...


The Conservancy


At this point my camera ran out of batteries and I have to wait for my sister to figure out how to email me pictures for me to have any other pictures for the weekend...I was obviously not prepared to document my trip photographically.

After this we went to a music store and bought some stuff, then went and saw a movie and ate dinner. The next day we got up, ate breakfast then drove to San Jose (where I was flying home from). In San Jose we went to the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum (one of the largest collections of Egyptian collectibles outside of Egypt). Then I got dropped off at the airport, waited for my delayed flight!

It was a quick trip, that left me exhausted because we did so much, but I had a great time. It was great to do something totally out of my normal routine and get to the city. I Love going to big cities on vacation, there is so much to do and SO MANY GREAT PLACES TO EAT.

No comments: