Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Letter to my Grandchildren

A few years before my grandpa passed away he had this plan to start writing a series of letters to his grand kids to share his wisdom with us. This is the one and only letter he ever wrote but I will cherish it forever because it is one of the few memories I have left of him, besides the pictures of course. And the book that he wrote. And my love for scuba diving, and my hate of seafood. And my ability to cheat win when playing cards. My sister got his love of gardening, I got his love of desserts!

A Letter to my Grandchildren who I am very proud of and who I love very much.

I have a few thoughts that I would like to pass on to you and hope they will be of some value to you. As one lives (gets older) he or she passes through many stages in life and accumulate experiences which hopefully contributes to wisdom.

Life is not easy, particularly as a teenager -- pressures of learning, finding out who you are, wondering what the future holds, peer pressure many times in conflict with parent wishes. Having a set of values and guidelines will make decision making and choices easier (not always easy, but easier).

HERE ARE MY SUGGESTIONS AND THOUGHTS, WHICH I HOPE WILL BE OF VALUE TO YOU.

Remember you are where you are today because of what decisions you made yesterday so what you do today will determine where and what you are tomorrow. Give thoughts to the meaning of these words and you realize how important it is to make the right decisions today because will affect the rest of your life.

Remember no one is better than you and of course, you are not better than anyone. If you feel this way you will not talk down to anyone nor will you find it necessary to talk up to anyone. I have found that using this philosophy I would be accepted and respected by almost everyone I came in contact with (children, older people, blue collar or top management). With this approach to life you develop a style of conducting yourself. I will give you one example of how it helped my in business. At one time I was employed by AMF Voit selling and promoting water sports equipment. I remember calling on a big account in Massachusetts who had three sales people in the diving department. While most salesmen ask for and cultivate the manager (which I did also) I took the time to acknowledge all the personnel in the department. After a year or so the manager left and the lowest sales person (not lowest in ability but in time employed) was made manager. Guess who became their major supplier? I selected this example because it illustrates how all people are important and should not be treated as if they are beneath you or of less importance. Because they are not in charge at a particular time, only God knows what the future holds.

Mike Kelley, Vice President in charge of sales at AMF Voit when I worked there, closed all of our sales meetings by saying, "don't forget to walk tall". A simple statement until you think about the deeper meaning. Carrying yourself with confidence -- shoulders back, etc. you give the appearance of someone in control...someone you can trust...someone who belongs. I can't remember how many times (in department stores, offices, even train stations) people have come up to me and asked if I was the manager, head of security or asked for directions or been singled out to lead or take control of a group. When you see me now, you see a middle-aged man of 76 with a limp and slightly bent -- just remember I still walk tall and hold to all the beliefs already stated and those that follow.

To really be content and happy you must want something. An example would be a high school graduate who has no particular direction. He or she usually takes the first job that comes along. It could be in a fast food restaurant, factory, or office and will plod along doing the same thing at the same level for the rest of their lives. The same graduate who wants something - to be a nurse, fireman, business manager, musician, doctor or lawyer, etc., this will direct his employment and efforts towards obtaining that goal deriving pleasure in progressing in the desired direction.

Hold on - keep reading - the end is near.

I believe one should not lie, steal or cheat. Always do your best, the very best no matter what chore is request or required of you. Pay your debts and do not make lenders come to you for payment.

Not only do I behave in the above manner, I have lived by these beliefs. I hope these thoughts will be of help achieving your goals and bring you happiness. NOW GO WALK TALL.

Love you,
Grandpa Charlie

P.S. Don't relax too much, because more thoughts will follow soon.

I found this the other day and it hit a chord with me. Struggling through this journey, trying to find who I am, trying to uncover what the future holds for me, my grandpa's word's serve as an inspiration on how to live my life, long after his is over.

1 comment:

Dyan said...

Oh my god.... this is so wonderful..... what a wonderful thing to read and experience. Sincerely, Thank you for sharing.