Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Hanging your dirty laundry out to air...

I read this post by Jen over at Lost in Translation the other day and it got me thinking (well more her comments got me thinking)...what's your dirty laundry that needs airing?

She was talking about setting a schedule for herself to clean her house and get her chores done. Sounds all fine and dandy to me, best of luck I told her in a comment. I wish her well!

I, on the other hand, generally only clean when I am having company over. Which doesn't bode well for unexpected company. But since I have no life, I also have very little unexpected company. Of course it means I can't go to the bar and pick up on some random guy and bring him home with me...because I would be too embarrassed by my pile of dirty laundry in my hall. Or my pile of clean laundry next to my bed. Or my pile of dishes in the sink. Or maybe I could just hide them in the oven like I did when I knew my dad was stopping by (it was easier than explaining why the dishes from when I made them dinner on Sunday were still in my sink on Tuesday when he picked up my dog). Or well, I would probably never go to a bar and pick up a guy so I really have nothing to worry about. And even if I did, we're going to his house because I don't want some stranger to know where I live anyways.

But there you go, I have been known on occasion to hide dirty dishes in my sink for a very short period of time to avoid the snide comments about my lack of desire towards doing mundane household chores. I, after all, have better things to do with my time (like watch Hell's Kitchen).

P.S. I DID actually do my dishes last night. But (as my mom might have pointed out on another occasion) only because I wanted to cook something else and needed the pots and pans to do it. And the forks and spoons to eat it. Because as of last night I had 3 small plates in my cupboard, and 3 knifes. The rest were in the sink. And, on a whim, I decided to make the following last night: beef stew (a giant pot full of it) with polenta, banana bread muffins and artichokes (for dinner, since the beef stew wasn't done until 11pm). I have completely lost it!

As a side note:
Criteria #1 for any applicants for the position of Ginger's dream man: Must be willing to do dishes whilst keeping the snide comments about my utterly unbelievable overuse of dishes whilst cooking to a minimum. Ability to do dishes while naked is preferred, but optional.

9 comments:

Dianne said...

Good luck finding a man who does dishes, laundry, etc. I have been known to hide dirty pots and pans in the oven. I have a supply of paper plates (various sizes) and plastic spoons, forks and knives and those suckers don't need washing!

Christy said...

I only clean when visitors are coming too. My husband used to do the dishes, but when I quit my job to stay home with the kids, he insisted that I do them. Really, it is the only chore I consistently do.

Jen said...

Seriously Ginger I NEVER DO DISHES!! I HATE THEM!! Erick does them Thank GOB! Whenever he goes out of town I wait until the last possible minute to do the dishes so he doesn't see that I haven't done them for the past WEEK!!

Anonymous said...

What is funny is I remember my Grandma telling me that the first time her mother-in-law showed up unexpectedly she quickly ran into the kitchen and threw all her dishes into the oven.

Melissa said...

Definitely hold out for that guy, because he does exist! My husband is super about doing dishes and cleaning just about anything else that needs to be done. The rule in our house is--the person who cooks doesn't have to clean (usually).

And I'm with you--I use a ton of dishes while cooking and there are much better things to do than dishes (It's Top Chef for me).

misguidedmommy said...

am i the only one who NEVER in a billion years would have thought to put my dishes in the oven?????

Mrs. F said...

OMG, I have put dishes in the oven, too. And I have put random crap laying around the house---in the dryer. Piles of clothes...they suck.

Great post. Can I get me one of those naked dishwashin mans, too? Keep my husband, but have a nakey man to do mah dishes. Yeehaw!

LostInLife01 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bri said...

My god, we could be twins, or the same person, right down to the plan for a one night stand that will probably never happen, but if it does, we are going to his place, because there is no way I would allow a stranger to see the mess that is my life! lol Glad I'm not the only one!