Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Maybe Mother Nature Knew Better Than Me...

I did call the guy. And I did have a date this weekend. Or, well, was supposed to have a date this weekend. But Mother Nature had other plans in mind. I was supposed to meet him for drinks in South Lake Tahoe (where he lives, about 45 minutes from Reno where I live). For those not familiar with this area, Reno is in a valley, you have to drive over the Sierra Nevada Mountains to get to South Lake Tahoe. Too bad it decided to snow on Friday night, I actually got about half way there but the road were really bad, icy and snowy and blah, so I called to cancel. We were maybe going to do something on Sat. but it was even snowier last night. So I told him to call me next weekend. But here's the thing, I'm not so sure I want him too after my brief look into his personality the other night.

I called him on Thursday and we made plans to have drinks. I offered to drive to South Lake because I wanted the out option (the option to get out of the date if it wasn't going well by saying I had to get going because I had a long drive ahead). However, enter exhibit #1, he didn't even offer to drive to Reno, or meet me halfway. Strange, but I wasn't too concerned at this point because like I said, I wanted the out option. So the plan was to meet at 8 at a bar in SLT. At about 7:15 I was headed that way and it starting snowing, hard. It wasn't sticking to the roads but I wasn't even in the mountains yet. So I called to cancel/see if he wanted to meet me half way. He tried to convince me to come up there and I said I didn't want to drive in the mountains with the weather like that because I didn't have 4-wheel drive and didn't want to get stuck in SLT. We talked for a few minutes, I was still headed in his direction because there was no where to turn around on the road I was on. Enter Exhibit #2...I tried to convince him to meet me half way and he was VERY resistant to meeting me half way. And he kept just saying "I mean, if you get stuck up here you can stay here, it's not like you don't have a place to stay." Now, Enter Exhibit #3...I was totally thrown off by the fact that he was completely ok making me drive threw shitty weather to see him, but he wasn't going to do the same to see me. Men...this is not ok, by any standards! By this time it had stopped snowing and he said it wasn't snowing up there so I changed my mind and headed up there. I figured he might be nervous or something, and it's been forever since I've been on a date so I wanted it to happen. Then...It started snowing again, but not that badly. So I headed up into the mountains and the roads got bad, very quickly. They got icy, and snowy. And I decided I really didn't want to (a) get in an accident on my way there (b) get stuck up there with a guy that I barely knew and (c) possibly get stuck up there all weekend, if the weather got really bad. So I called and canceled. Then he got kind of weird. He kept trying to convince me to come up there, even though I was obviously not comfortable driving with the roads all shitty. And he kept just trying to convince me by saying I had somewhere to stay if I did get stuck up there. And seriously, even if he was totally just a one night stand, I still wouldn't want to get stuck with him overnight, or all weekend! So I turned around and told him to call me tomorrow (Sat.) if it was nicer out or next weekend and we would try to hang out. But then, enter exhibit #4, he said "yeah, you can come up here next Friday or something." Which wouldn't have been that big of a deal, except I just spent 1 1/2 hours driving half way there, to not even see him, and he was still going to expect me to drive up there again next weekend.

So there's my "almost" date story...maybe Mother Nature knew better than me and was just trying to show me he wasn't worth my time...or should I give him another chance...but either way, at least it's a step in the right direction!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUCK! Those were a bunch of crappy responses from him. I applaud you for even thinking of going up there. Hell if its a first date he's coming to where I am or what works best for me. No way in hell would I be driving two hours but that's just me.

There you have it I'm single because I'm a snot!

Anonymous said...

A snot when it comes to guys & the level of effort they make on a first date.

misguidedmommy said...

im pretty sure he is an axe murderer

Jen said...

Ooooh yeah. Fook that guy. I'm glad you didn't go. He sucks. IF you do meet him again make him come to you. That way you are more likely to be "safer".

Scott said...

Sorry, just catching up with your blog. I hope you didn't go, he isn't worth the effort. Sounds like he had one thing in mind, which is fine if you both agree on it, but I suspect that he would be making you do all the work in the bedroom just as he did for your drive to get there.

Sometimes Mother (Nature) does know best. ;-)