Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Monday, March 3, 2008

If I fill my house with vegetables, I'll eat them, right?

This statement should be the tag line for my life. Now, don't get me wrong, I eat a fair (I had to choose that word wisely) amount of fruits & veggies every day. By no means do I eat the recommended amount and my no means am I like my sister. My sister is an aberration. She eats enough vegetables that you could probably put her in a juicer and squeeze yourself a glass or two of carrot-celery-kale-spinach-parsley juice. Ok, that was a slightly disturbing thought I realize, but it's true, I'm not entirely sure she's actually human anymore. I think she has largely morphed into some sort of human-plant hybrid because of her unimaginably large daily consumption of vegetables and fruit. I, on the other hand, probably have 2-3 servings of fruit a day and 1-2 servings of veggies. Not great, but not bad. And I eat a pretty diverse range of veggies.

Since moving out on my own, my eating habits have definitely gone downhill a little bit. Some brie, crackers and salami often passes as a meal in my home. And by 'home' I mean my 850 sq. foot condo that houses me and my dog (part-time). However, I have also started eating some veggies that I haven't ate since I learned i could say no to my parents (like mushrooms, tomatoes and olives. Although I am not sure an olive counts as a vegetable, especially since it's salted and cured...).

I diverge...The point of my story is that even though I may not eat the recommended dosage of fruits and veggies, my refrigerator and counters are always stocked full of fruits and veggies. I buy tons of them, in the hopes that if, when I open my fridge, all I see to eat are veggies that I will EAT THEM. What a concept, huh? Too bad it doesn't work most of the time. As much as I hate to admit this, I throw away a very large portion of produce I buy. I know how much of a waste it is, not only in the food itself (starving kids in Africa probably wouldn't get my extra produce in time, even if I tried to ship it to them...) but in money and my time going to the damn store. Part of this is because I will eat something for a day or two, then get bored and leave the remainder until it is discolored and slightly odor-riffic, in which case it finds it's way into my trash can during my weekly refrigerator purge. Sometimes I honestly forget that I buy stuff, so I buy it again (this happens all the time with celery, for whatever reason my brain is not developed enough to hold onto the fact that yes, indeedy-do I did buy celery on Sunday...and Wed...and well now I just bought it again on Friday. Shit! And sometimes I get home from work, look in my fridge full of veggies and decide to order a pizza instead.

So here is my problem, I obviously have no aversion to BUYING vegetables, nor do I theoretically have a problem with eating them, but I still find myself wasting tons of food because in the end, I do not eat them. Well most of them.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Umm I don't think mushrooms are vegetables either... they're fungus. I think they have their own KINGDOM.. Plants, animals and fungi? No? Eh...