Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Monday, March 24, 2008

Community Supported Agriculture

Most of my life I have had home-grown produce of some sort or another gracing my dinner table. My parents have always had a garden in the backyard (that grew as much as I did over the years, from a small plot in the sunny corner to a small farm that takes up almost half of their backyard). A few years back, my sister finally decided what she was going to do with her life. She discovered her passion for food and for supporting local agricultural efforts. Her love for organic agriculture and her passion for helping the people that provide these products took over her life. In turn, this meant that on every trip home, in addition to an entire carload of dirty laundry, she also brings boxes and baskets of great, homegrown, organic produce. Between my parent's home garden and my sister's bi-annual produce deliveries I have made a conscious effort to buy as much organic and locally grown produce and products as my meager budget can afford. Thanks to my sister I've been aware of CSA, Community Supported Agriculture, programs for many years but just recently learned that the Reno-Sparks-Tahoe area has a CSA program.

For those of you not familiar, CSA consists of a group of individuals who pledge support to a farm’s operation. In doing so, the growers and consumers provide mutual support and sharing of the risks and benefits of food production. Members of the group, through the purchase of membership fee's of some sort, help cover in advance the costs the farmer will incure throughout the season and, in turn, will share in the harvest throughout the growing season. A downside is that you also share in the risks of farming and, on occasion, may be affected by reduced harvests due to disease or bad weather, but in general you will be graced every week with a box brimming with fresh produce. By providing the money directly to the farmers, the farmers receive better prices for their crops, gain financial security (ensuring you will have great produce next year!) and have to worry less about marketing and distributing their products.

Most CSA programs work by forming relationships with local producers and farmers to provide a relatively consistent supply of seasonal produce. Many also provide, on demand or special order, special products such as: honey, cheeses, meats and herbs. The variety of produce that you get varies from region to region, and season to season. You have little to no say to what you actually get in most CSA programs, but you are ensured to receive fresh, generally organic, locally grown produce. Most CSA programs provide you with a plethora of recipes on how to convert those formerly unknown veggies into a steamy, yummy meal. A downfall of the CSA programs is that tropical fruits and veggies are not available, so don't expect any banana's or pineapples in your box...that is unless you live in Hawaii!

For more information I found a few websites to help you on your way to supporting your local farmers and providing yourself with tons of fresh veggies!

In the Reno-Sparks area, the local CSA program if offered by Great Basin Community Food Co-Op and runs from June to October.

Depending on location, your local CSA may run year-round.

For information about a CSA program in your area, you can visit the following websites:
Local Harvest
Land Stewardship Project
Green People

No comments: