Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

So unprofessional.

I've never been the kind of person who cries a lot. By the way, I am supposed to be preparing right now for the following things at work tomorrow: interviewing more people because the last receptionist that we hired lasted 3 weeks (although she only actually worked 4 days and 2 hours), my mid-year review and reviewing one of my employees (let me rephrase, the one person I currently supervise). Instead I am blogging...

Anyways, back to my random train of thought...while preparing to review someone else it got me thinking to my reviews. In my first year, I had a review at 3 months (preliminary to make sure I did well enough to get past the 'probation period' and so I could ask for more money because I started for a lot less than I wanted), a review at 6 months (again, for a possible salary increase because I started at a lot less than I wanted) and an annual review (my actual review, although the others were actual reviews as well, but most people don't get reviews at 3 and 6 months). In every single one of my reviews, I cried at some point. I have no explanation for why I cried. It had no hidden purpose (like making my boss feel guilty or because I was so unhappy or so elated with joy I felt I needed tears to express my feelings). It's like my boss and I start talking about my job/my performance and the water works just turn on (just FYI, my reviews have always been favorable, with room for improvement, accompanied by salary increases). I try to stop them but then I just sit there because when I am about to cry all I do is stop talking because once I start talking the tears start flowing. So I start talking because I can't sit there like a dumb ass and the tears start flowing. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME? I have no idea why I do this and it makes me feel like a hack and that everything coming out of my mouth is fooey. My boss always said it isn't a big deal (benefit of having a female boss perhaps?) but I still feel totally unprofessional and wish I could stop it. The last time I made it ALL the way to the last portion where we talk about what direction I want to take in the next year and boom, on came the waterworks even though I knew what I wanted. AUUUGGGGG! It is so aggravating that this happens!

As I said, I am not a crier. I generally only cry over the deaths of loved ones (people and pets, probably more so pets...does that make me a bad person that I cry more over the death of my pets than I do over the death of loved ones?) I also have cried when I really hurt myself (like the other night when I slammed my foot into my bed, I collapsed on the floor in a flurry of cuss words and then cried just a little bit...it REALLY hurt) or during some movies. But seriously, I can't believe I do this because it is totally not like me...but i guess it is probably better than excusing myself from a meeting concerning my performance and locking myself in the bathroom for more than an hour and then pretending like the meeting never happened. Like say, some people might do.

No comments: