Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Monday, June 11, 2007

A conversation about kids...

The other day I was at work and I witnessed this conversation. I have to admit I was completely shocked and said nothing because I couldn't actually believe that anybody would ask this. I think Shannon will probably enjoy this one.

Character #1
Name: Jane*
Age: 28
Bio: Single Mom (dating a loser about 15 years her senior), has one 7 year old son who is bipolar. He is a little out of control most of the time but in general a good kid. She has no education past high school and even that was a tight squeeze.

Character #2
Name: John*
Age: 49
Bio: Divorced dad of 2 boys, ages 6 and 9. He went through a nasty divorce and has still managed to to raise his kids to be respectful and well behaved. He has a good education and many sucessful careers.

Last week I gave Jane permission to bring her son to work. School ended Wed. and his day care camp didn't start until Monday. She couldn't get a babysitter so I said it was fine. Wed. just before noon we (me, Jane and John) were in the office and the phone rings. Apparently it is the school telling Jane her son has been "suspended." It is the last day of school but she still had to go pick him up. Before she leaves she says to John "How do you get your kids to behave?"

John: Ummmm...what do you mean?
Jane: Your kids are always so quite and nice when they come here, how do you get them to behave...How do you train them like that?
John: How do I train them? Ummm, I, ummm...
Jane: My son is always so rowdy and embarrassing, I mean he makes fart noises and runs around and makes messes. I just don't understand. Am a horrible mom that I can't train my kid to behave well in public.
John: I think my kids just don't want to disappoint me so they behave well.
Jane: Does that mean my son wants to disappoint me? I mean what else could it be. Even his doctors tell me I am not a good mom and that I can't control my kid.
John (and me): ------- (awkward silence)
Jane: I just don't understand why he acts like that, shit he is so embarrassing.

That was really the bulk of the shocking conversation. Admittedly, this doesn't come off quite as shocking because you can't hear her tone when she is saying this, but she really wanted to know the secret to training her kid like I train my dog.

*Names have been withheld to protect the stupid and the unknowing (that I am writing about them).

1 comment:

misguidedmommy said...

wow. funny, there are days i think im doing it all wrong and then there are most days where i realize my son is who he is, and how i learn to react to him is morn important. Sometimes you just need to laugh it off acting like all kids have their moments, and also know a lot of kids are terrors when they aren't in public. but if i sit there getting all embarrassed and act like there is something wrong with him, it not only make look bad but my son too, it also makes him feel like i dont appreciate who he is. i guess this girl has kid envy, its kind of like stroller envy. but you know, most parents would have been more honest then that guy and said, really they only seem to act this good in front of people, they are really crazy at home..even if it isn't true, its the respectful response!