Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Cereal and Bugs

If you know anything about me you know that I love random facts. I love senseless trivia that I can throw into conversations for no particular reason, except to try and show how smart I am.

A few years ago (not sure exactly when, although I am sure Shannon can tell you to the date, minute and second when I ruined her life), I spouted off some comment about how "you know, the FDA allows a certain percentage of bug parts into cereal...right?" Honestly, sometimes when I spout off these random facts of knowledge, I have no real scientific basis for my trivia. It is simply a factoid I heard on a Discovery Channel show, or read in some news article (I used to work in a science library and would read science mags ALL the time). I never remember the details...however people rarely ever challenge me on them and so life goes on, with me looking a little smarter (or more like a smart ass, some might say...I don't necessarily agree with them) and nobody questioning me.

This was one of those situations. I remember hearing somewhere that the FDA allows a certain percentage of bug parts in cereal (or all grain products for that matter) but really had no numbers or references to back up my factoid. I didn't think twice about it, after all I knew it and I still eat cereal. Shannon on the other hand had a major issue with this factoid. To the point that I caused her to give up an entire food category because of my random factoid....opps, my bad! She reminds me of it all the time and I still can't help but laugh...sorry Shannon!

And just for your information...according to the FDA website "For instance, the permissible level of certain insect fragments in 50 grams, or about two cups, of flour is 75 parts. (This is the uppermost level at which fragments pose no health hazard in the product.)" Sorry, I couldn't find a specific level for ready-to-eat cereal.

While researching this I found our similar facts to other food articles...but I wouldn't want to ruin those for anyone so I will keep that info to myself (for the time being, I would watch out though, it might slip out in conversation). On the other hand if you are like me, slightly disturbed but still interested in what our government let's us eat, you can check out the whole list of DAL's (defect action levels) for pretty much every food on your grocery shelves here.

Somehow, none of this bothers me...however that weird eggyish smell on dishes totally icks me out!

4 comments:

misguidedmommy said...

because i am pregnant and i want to nourish my child it is taking every single ounce of will power for me to not read that fucking website!

Anonymous said...

I'm grossed out too!!! And I just check out the website, just for a bit it's to early to upset my tummy. I may NEVER eat again!

THANK YOU this may be th answer to my diet problems!

Anonymous said...

So how long do you think Shannon REALLY can go without giving in and checking this website?

Jen said...

Hahahaha- Yeah doesn't bother me that there are bug parts in my cereal. However not sure if there is other stuff on the site that WOULD bother me so I will wait and read it POST BABY when I need to be doing major portion-control anyway.