Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Monday, March 19, 2007

Would you expect a raise?

One of the most important parts of being a manager is reviewing your employee's performance. One of the most mentally challenging things of being a manager is reviewing your employee's performance. My work has a 'self review' procdure in place so the employee fills out a pretty in depth review form about their position and how they feel they are performing and what they hope to and want to do in the future. The supervisor then reviews it prior to the actually review meeting and compares the differences. Differences are discussed and hopefully an agreement is made between both parties on what action is needed, etc. I had to fill out this form a few months back for my annual review and actually found it one of the most rewarding aspects of my job review. It made me think about what is asked of me, what I enjoy doing, what I don't enjoy doing, what I hope to do in the future and most importantly, if I am getting what I need to to the job I am asked. I spent probably 3 hours preparing my review. Mind you, I probably am a bit of a workaholic and just a bit of an ass kisser when it comes to things like this, but I also take my job seriously and know that I am working my ass off in hopes of being in a position one day that allows me to earn good money, have fun and not work my ass off all the time. I also know that they only way I will get there (short of winning the lottery and not having to work) is by taking things like this seriously. It not only shows my boss that I take her seriously as an employer and a business owner, but also that I take her seriously in the sense that she always has said that she wants people to be doing what they want to be doing in the company and she will do everything in her power to try and make that happen. I know if I am miserable in my job, I know I haven't made my desires clear to her.

Now the shoe is on the other foot. I have to review one of my employee's later this week. Like I said before I take reviews pretty seriously. If you don't they are just a waste of everybody's time. First of all, the employee didn't give me her review form on time (I asked for it by COB on Thursday so I could review it over the weekend, instead say of having to review it at 10 pm at night because I don't have time during the day...and just got it today). On top of that, she didn't even bother to complete the last section (what are your future personal and career objectives). What are you if you don't have some kind of goals? Even if she has put my goal is to not put up with my shit anymore, I would have been happier than I am now that she didn't even bother to answer it. There is a section where you have to rate yourself on 18 different areas. On average, she rated herself as a 7 (on a scale of 1-10, this is on the very edge of satisfactory and good). However she rated herself above average on a quality that she has failed to show any improvement on (just my opinion sneaking in there). Anyways, would you expect to get a raise if you rated yourself satisfatory to good, considering raises at my company are not promised based on time employeed, they are 100% merit based? If you don't earn it, why do you think that you deserve it?

1 comment:

misguidedmommy said...

NO! First of all, if she thought she actually deserved a raise she would have shown it. Based on what you have written here if she truly thinks she deserves a raise then it sounds to me like she must be young and cocky and think money grows on trees (great now I sound like my dad) Anyway, one of the things we learned in one of our many classes here at Weaklands is to pay special attention to how people fill out their paper work. E.G. on job applications, on the side of it like parralell to the paper it says the name and phone number again. 90% of people don't fill it out, those who do are special and pay attention. Personally the fact that she didn't fill out the end portion to me sounds like she couldn't answer it because she doesn't see a future there. If she had anything invested in that company at all she would have had a very good answer for that final question. HOWEVER! The fact that she submitted it late and had a blatant disregard for your wishes is about the worst part of all of that. Based on that single fact alone I would not offer her any sort of raise. If she feels differently then that and you for some reason want to keep her, then the only compromise I can think of is to possibly go over your thoughts and concerns and then give her a chance to re-write her review, turn it in on time, and fill it out in full. Then you can re-evaluate your decision.


On another note, you said you kiss ass at work, in the gagillion years I've known you I've never known you to kiss ass so I'm surprised...I've known you to tell people to kiss your ass but never for you to kiss ass!