Tasty Temptations

Cooking has always been the one thing where, when I am doing it, nothing else in the world seems to matter. I can cook for minutes or I can cook for hours, but no matter how long I can cook for, I always find myself feeling more like 'me' when I am done. Plus there is no better excuse to drink by yourself than while you are cooking a great meal (All those drunken chefs out there can thank Julia for making this acceptable).

Me and a few of my friends have decided to create a place to share our love of cooking....check us out here.

Can't find something?

Google
 

Monday, December 24, 2007

I couldn't even imagine

About a year ago my mom and I started seeing a doctor who practices NSA or Network Spinal Analysis. It is similar to chiropractic care but based more on specific pressure points than physical manipulation of the spine. Over the year we have become friends with this man, his wife and 7 year old daughter. Anywho, a few months back he came down with a couple of illnesses in a row and then was eventually diagnosed with leukemia. Because him and his wife are self employed and were just building up their businesses (she is a massage therapist), they do not have health insurance and have been faced with not only the burden of having to deal with his illness but also the incredible financial problems associated with trying to fight for his life and still pay their rent, utilities and other living expenses since neither of them is really working while they are trying to get the medical care he needs. They are some of the nicest, most sincere, people I know. This morning while I was out walking my dog I was thinking. I can't even imagine what they as a family, and specifically what his wife and daughter, are going through. How do you go on living your life if the person you planned on spending the rest of it with dies well before his time? How do you deal with the debt left behind from the financial obligations of fighting an illness like that? How do you not just curl up in a ball and let it all run over you like a freight train? Especially in this season where joy and happiness are supposed to be everywhere how do face the though of losing your husband, your father?

1 comment:

Jen said...

Umm. Brutal. Makes you realize how much you have to be thankful for. I think I will go "up" eROCK's life insurance policy now.